A distinctive feature of dogs of the Jack Russell Terrier breed is mobility.
The breed was created for the needs of hunters. And although now, jacks are turned up mostly as pets, their hunting instincts have not disappeared and make themselves felt: these dogs need constant physical activity, walks.
There are two types of this breed: long-haired and smooth-haired. Long coat to some extent performs heating function. But for dogs with short hair, in extreme cold or in the dank wind, it becomes uneasy. Dog clothes are needed for the animal to be comfortable for a walk.
What clothes do you need?
Jack Russell clothes must first be of good quality. Uneven seams, for example, can simply diverge from the active game. Should not hold down movements.
Things needed in Jack Russell’s wardrobe:
- Winter coveralls. Overalls with insulation, for example, with a layer of padding polyester, protect the dog in the cold;
- Rain coat or fall overalls needed in the autumn-spring period (sometimes in summer) to protect against rain and wind. Such products are sewn, of course, from waterproof fabric. Frequently, models with a hood are available that protect the ears and eyes from rain;
- Footwear need if you have to walk your pet in the city, where, unfortunately, you can often stumble upon broken glass, sharp glands. Boots will protect the paws of dogs from cuts. Also in winter, they will be protected from contact with chemicals and salt, which are littered with roads and sidewalks. In severe frosts, you can shove a jack into insulated boots to keep your feet free from frostbite.
This is convenient because playing a pet can run away from the owner at a considerable distance. Besides dog will notice if she runs out on the road.
How to determine size?
Dogs are sometimes wary of things that they want to wear.
In such a case, measurements should be taken from the dog in advance. Make measurements when the dog is at rest: standing still and not wriggling.
To measure paw size, put Jack Russell on a piece of paper and circle his paw (for families with small children, this technique is familiar). Then measure the outline outlined on the paper in centimeters (length and width).
When purchasing clothes, the following parameters are important:
- Back length: size in cm from collar to tail. This measurement is better to round down.
- Chest girth: this is the widest part, you can throw a centimeter or two so that the clothes are not flush
- Neck girth: measure the bottom – the widest part of the neck.
- Chest height This is the length in cm from the bottom edge of the collar along the chest to the beginning of the front paws.
How to sew clothes for Jack Russell Terrier independently on the pattern
If you own sewing skills, then cope with the creation of a dress for the jack. Sew need to pattern. In magazines and on the Internet you can find various patterns on dogs. Sewing a dog attire is almost the same as clothing for humans.
After removing the size of the pet, you should transfer the pattern according to the size of the graph paper, and then onto the fabric. Circling the pattern, do not forget to leave seam allowances. Further, all elements are stitched together and the product is tried on a dog. Marked places required holes (for the tail, for example). The stitched product is being finalized. Clasps are usually placed on the back.
Outfit can to add various accessories (most importantly, remember the convenience of a pet). In winter overalls, it would be good to make additional rubber bands on the legs, so that the overalls fit snugly and prevent moisture from getting inside.
Choosing fabric consider the season. For a cool season, the outfit is sewn from waterproof and not blown fabrics.
The modern market offers a wide range of clothes for Jack Russell Terriers, which combines practicality and attractive design. Wherever you are going: to walk to the park, to visit or to meet the breeders, remember that the convenience of the dog should come first.
Do not wear a pet in extreme heat to avoid overheating, do not hesitate to move. Jack russell terriers give real joy freedom of movement and comfort.