Chihuahua is a miniature breed that requires special attention and careful care. Like other dogs, she loves walking in the fresh air. Since the coat of the Chihuahua is not very warm, it can not do without clothes in cold weather.
Previously, to see a small dog on the street in clothes was almost impossible. For most, this caused not only emotion, but also surprise. Today it is a daily reality. Very susceptible to chihuahua cold.
Dogs feel comfortable at temperatures above + 15 ° C. At lower temperatures, the animals are cold because:
- Due to their miniature size they are close to the ground.
- They have an accelerated metabolism, calories are quickly consumed.
- Wool is not thick and often there is a "stress molt" due to the fearfulness of the breed.
So that the dog is not frozen, she needs clothes. Chihuahua basic wardrobe can consist of several things:
- winter overalls with padding polyester or holofiber;
- waterproof fleece overalls for cold rainy weather in autumn and spring;
- blanket to protect the back;
- raincoat with a hood;
- knitted warm sweater for dry cool weather;
- several pairs of boots with a waterproof sole.
You can add wardrobe with other things that are more used as a decor: dresses, hats, sundresses, panties, T-shirts, shorts.
Necessary tools and materials
Before you make your own clothes for chihuahuas, you need to prepare materials and tools in advance. If it is a knitted item, you will need yarn, knitting needles or a hook.
For sewing besides the fabric may be required:
- needles of different sizes;
- buttons, velcro, zippers and other accessories.
Particular attention should be paid to the choice of fabric. For winter overalls, it should be warm, but light. For the top it is better to take nylon – it does not get wet. Lining to make of padding polyester or holofiber. Artificial fur is unlikely to warm the dog, and natural sheepskin is very heavy for a chihuahua. It is better to take color dark. To prevent the dog from getting lost in the snow, it is advisable to add a few inserts of fabric of variegated shades. For demi-season jackets and overalls choose waterproof materials non-marking colors. Lining is better to make a natural satin. It is recommended to sew from natural breathable fabrics that do not create the greenhouse effect.
Learn about the typical symptoms of Cushing’s syndrome in dogs, as well as the treatment of chronic endocrine disease.
Useful tips on how to make diapers for small dogs, girls and boys with their own hands, read this address.
How to take measurements
For clothes to fit the dog perfectly, it must be sewn by the standards. They need to be removed correctly, so that the thing in the end is not close or too loose. Measure all the parameters better than measuring tape. The dog must be relaxed, calm. It is better to choose to measure the time after a meal, before bedtime, when the animal is tired or sleepy.
Mandatory measurements for chihuahuas:
- head circumference – measured on the frontal part, capturing the widest part of the ear below;
- the girth of the muzzle is measured with the mouth closed;
- neck girth;
- chest circumference – measured behind the forelimbs;
- chest width – the distance from one to another;
- abdominal circumference – measured under the hind limbs;
- the length of the limbs;
- the length of the back is the distance from the withers to the base of the tail;
- the length of the abdomen – in bitches is equal to the length of the back, in males – the distance from the neck to the genitals.