Want to know how to knit a dog sweater? See this masterclass for a detailed step by step description! I will show you how to knit a sweater for a dog using the example of a sweater for Jack Russell Terrier and Yorkshire Terrier, but according to this scheme you can knit a sweater for a dog of any breed.
1. The first thing to do is to take measurements from the dog. My sizes are as follows: back length – 34 cm, chest girth – 42 cm, abdomen length 17 cm.
2. We knit a control sample of threads, with which we will knit a sweater and calculate the density of knitting. I have 21 loops = 10 cm, therefore 2.1 loops fit in 1 cm.
3. Calculate the number of dialed loops.
The first step is to calculate how many loops should be in the widest part of the sweater (in the chest girth area). To do this, take the measure of chest girth and determine how many loops will be in this value. For my sweater, this value will be 42 x 2.1 = 88 loops.
As we begin to knit a sweater for a dog with a collar, we collect the following number of loops on the knitting needles: the value obtained above is minus 20 loops for small dogs (Yorkshire or Chihuahua) or minus 30 loops for larger breeds (Jack Russell Terrier). I dial 88 – 30 loops = 58 loops. Next, I will indicate the number of loops, which I knitted this sweater.
4. Type on the spokes the right amount of loops and knit with an elastic band 1 x 1 for 4 cm (York) or 5 cm (Jack Russell).
5. Next, divide the number of loops dialed into 5 parts (58: 5 = 12 loops). The first fifth part (12 loops) to knit with an elastic band 1 x 1, and the last fifth part of the loops (12 loops) also with a 1 x 1 elastic band, the middle part, all the remaining loops (58 – 12 – 12 = 34 loops) knit with the front stitch. On the loops the back of the smoothly knit back, and on the loops of gum – the tummy. That is, we knit the following row like this: 12 loops elastic 1 x 1, 34 loops front smooth surface, 12 loops elastic 1 x 1.
6. We continue to knit, distributing the loops of the pattern according to the above scheme, while in each second row we add loops to expand the sweater for the dog to the chest.
The loops are added as follows: 1 x 1 gum loops, add 1 loop, 1 face loop, add 1 loop, face smooth loops, add 1 loop before the last loop, add 1 loop, and gum loops before the last loop. The added loops on the side of the front smooth surface are also knitted by the facial smoothness, while those added on the side of the elastic band are included in the pattern of the elastic band.
For the Yorkshire terrier we knit 10 rows in this way (adding 5 times 4 loops in each 2nd row), for Jack Russell terrier – 16 rows (adding 8 times 4 loops in every second row).
7. After 5 (7 cm) from the start of knitting. stitch holes for the feet.
To do this, we knit in the front row as follows: 3 (5) loops of elastic, close all loops of elastic and the next 3 (5) loops of the front smoothing, knit all the loops of the front smoothing, except for 3 (5) of the last, close them, then close the loops of the elastic , the last 3 (5) loops gum knit on the pattern. In the next, purl row, instead of closed loops, we type in the loops the number of loops that we closed in the previous row. In the next front row dialed loop knit gum pattern.
8. Knit a sweater for a dog from the holes for the legs to the end of the tummy. We knit, distributing the loop of gum and the front surface of the surface as it was knitted above. At the same time we are doing a subtraction, for a slight narrowing of the sweater. If you do not do them, then after a while the sweater on your tummy will sag. To do this, in each 8th row, knit 2 loops together (adjacent loops of elastic and front smoothing).
9. When you finish tying the length of the abdomen (15.17 cm in girls, in boys it is shorter), transfer the tummy loops (elastic loops) to separate needles and then knit only the front surface loops (back). You can also leave the elastic loop on the working needle, just do not knit them further.
10. If you knit a sweater for a dog – a girl, then knit further as follows: on the front surface hinges, close in each 2nd row 2 times 1 loop, 2 times 2 loops, 1 time 5 loops.
If you knit a sweater for a dog – a boy, then fasten the face with a satin finish to the length of the back minus 5 cm (measure from the beginning of the knitting with the face satin), then turn down the loops of the face smooth surface just like on a girls sweater.
11. Tie the bottom of the parts with an elastic band 1 x 1. For this 6 – 8 rows we knit with a rubber band on the loops of the tummy and back, and in the first row of the elastic band, type loops from previously closed loops on the edge of the part.
12.After the sweater is bound for the dog, it must be sewn along the edge loops. The suture should go through the bottom center of the tummy.
To make a sweater more interesting, you can knit melange or sectionally colored yarn for knitting, or you can knit a sweater from a yarn of 2 colors: knit a collar and final strapping with contrasting yarn.
In the comments and by mail, many questions were asked about how to properly tie the lower part of the sweater and its edging. Online on knitting a sweater, I explained in detail and photographed all the stages of knitting. Online can be viewed on this page.
And at the request of Christina I add a schematic pattern of a sweater.
P.S. Look, what beautiful sweaters for Jack Russell Terrier turned out to be needlewoman Julia according to this description!
Knitting for dogs and cats on knitka.ru. Knitting patterns for free.
Jumpsuit and hat with pompon for chihuahua. Knitted from yarn of medium thickness, 50% wool 50% acrylic, knitting needles 3.5 and 1×1 knit for gum 3. The jumpsuit began to knit from the hood. Scored …
Good day! This is the cat Sphynx Apollo this cold winter needed insulation in the form of a warm and light vest or sweater. Went through the Internet a lot of different descriptions and vests, and sweaters with different …
Warm sweater for pug Archie. Already significantly colder, so I decided to warm my pet. Since I practically do not speak knitting needles, but I really wanted to knit a sweater with them, I searched for a long time …
You will need: 100 g of “Yarn Art MOHAIR CLASSIC” yarn (80% mohair, 20% acrylic, 220 m / 100 g) white; 100 g of “ALIZE CASHMIRA” yarn (100% wool, 300 m / 100 g) of white color;…
Does your cat love trendy clothes? My kind is not, but I never offered her to dress for a walk in a pink jacket, knitted. Try, maybe your cat will be real …
Size: XS – S – M. Finished product dimensions: Chest girth: approximately 28 30 – 40/44 – 4852 cm. Back length: about 24 / 26–32 / 34–40 42 cm.
Knitting for dogs is another direction in the world of knitted fashion. Even 10 years ago, you would have smiled when you saw a dog in a knitted jumpsuit or dress on the street. Today, dogs are walking around …
Fascinating knitting for dogs in detailed workshops
Modern fashion trends apply not only to people, but also to animals. This applies to both sewing and knitting. In this lesson we will talk about how to knit for animals, and more specifically for dogs.
Clothes for dogs: a whim or need
Some of you may find knitting for dogs an unnecessary whim, but it is not at all so. The fact is that a set of clothes makes our small and large dogs very different, unusually elegant and original.
In addition, knitting for dogs is a very practical occupation. Any dogs, large or small, begin to get very cold in the winter cold period. Therefore, each dog walk on the street is reduced to five or ten minutes.
Another advantage that a dog dressed in a sweater or romper has is its cleanliness. Any animal returns home clean after the street, because dust and dirt remain on the knitted clothes.
Original blankets, sweaters and overalls protect dogs from any aggressive influence of the city.
Knit dress for dogs
We start knitting for animals with the manufacture of knitting with such a red dress jumpsuit for a small dog. To tie this cute jumpsuit, you need 100 grams (g) of red acrylic yarn (280 m / 100 g), and 20 grams of lilac. Knit a dog dress with circular needles No. 3, and crochet No. 3.
Needlework is done in three different patterns.
- The first pattern is the usual front surface.
- In addition, we carry out the openwork pattern according to scheme 1, which shows only odd facial rows (P). In this case, all the purl knit by the pattern. Vertical rapport of Scheme 1 is two P.
- The third fantasy pattern is performed according to scheme 2. On it, even purl rows are also knitted by the pattern.
- We knit overalls for dogs, starting with a set of 30 loops (P), and performing 8 cm of the pattern of the front surface.
- Then go to the fantasy pattern, provyazyvaya two vertical rapport.
- After that, back to knitting the front surface. It is necessary to tie 19 cm from the typesetting edge, and then make two large loops to thread the dog’s front legs into them.
- We knit a canvas measuring 25 cm, after which we close the loops of the last R.
- At the end of the needlework it is necessary to trim the outer edge with two rows of crochets without crochet.
- Then we will make a set of edging large loops, and we will knit 4 cm with the front satin surface in circular rows.
- Similarly, knit all the other sleeves for the legs of the dog.
- Having tied 8 cm from the patterned row, we will put loops on lilac threads, and we will knit a frill of 3 cm, with an openwork pattern according to scheme 1.
Video: How to knit a sweater for a dog
Stylish knitted jumpsuit for small breeds
Knit jumpsuit, which is designed for a small dog weighing 2 kilograms. Here there is a pattern of the model of overalls.
The pattern is designed for a back length of 22 centimeters (cm), and a circumference in the chest area of 34 cm.
- Let’s start needlework with a set of 52 (P) knitting needles.
- After dialing you need to associate a canvas size of 27 R.
- Then it is necessary to close the knitting into the ring, and knit the doggie’s clothes with a simple 1×1 rubber band.
- It is necessary to tie up 6 rows with such an elastic band, then 3 rows with a facial surface.
- After this, it is necessary to close 6 loops to the openings of the sleeves.
- Between the holes should be 12 loops that go to the front.
- Perform 21 P before, and 12 R backs.
- Then again form a ring, and knit 6 cm.
- Continuing knitting, close 24 P in the lower zone, and perform another 6 cm.
- Now you need to close in the center of 12 pieces, and tie the corners apart. At the same time, it is necessary to close 2 loops in the middle of each row until all loops are closed.
- At this stage, you need to dial 30 P for each hind paw, and tie up 20 circular R.
- Then close the P, and crochet around the edges.
- On the front sleeves we also recruit 30 P each, and we knit 16 circular R.
- Finishing to knit these clothes with needles, it remains only to sew a hood, and you can try on a jumpsuit on a dog.
Video: New Year’s overalls for a pet
Jumpsuit with jacquard patterns
We knit a jumpsuit dog, using different remnants of colored yarn, two types of knitting needles No. 3, even and circular, as well as stocking knitting needles.
Any knitting for animals should be done after taking measurements, which we will do in this case:
- The dog’s neck circumference is 21 cm;
- Back length 24 cm;
- Chest circumference 34 cm;
- Waist circumference 26 cm;
- Foot circumference 18 cm.
The density of the canvas is 18 P and 23 P in a 10×10 cm sample.
- We pick 15 P, and begin to knit, increasing the number of P at the end of each P by one.
- After 7 rows, we begin to perform the jacquard pattern according to the attached scheme.
- Carefully count the loops, and when there are 27 pieces on the needles, we add 3 pieces from two edges.
- Next, knit again according to the scheme, and continue to increase the number of 1 P at the end of R. We bring the number to 39 P, then add along the edges of 3 loops.
- Then we continue to knit, increasing the number of P by one at the end of each P. We bring the number to 55 loops, and continue to knit in a straight line.
- We knit straight 8 rows, then close the loop to tie the sleeves for the legs. It is necessary to tie 6 loops, close 4, tie 35, and close 4 again, and tie 6 P. at the end of the row.
- Three pieces of clothing are knitted separately from each other for 10 P. At the same time, 6 P with the edge are made with yellow threads, and all other middle P are knitted in accordance with the attached scheme.
- Having finished the tenth P, we type in the next 11 P over the previously closed ones by 4 P. Then we continue to knit according to the scheme.
- The last 14 Ps are made with orange threads, a 1×1 rubber band, and then they all close the P of the last R.
- To finish the whole jumpsuit, you need to tie the sleeves for legs. We will pick up 28 P stockings on 4 stockings, distributing them evenly, 7 pieces each, and tie 6 P with purple threads. After that, close the last R.
- Then the jumpsuit is stitched along the length, and along the bottom edge 68 P are gathered into circular needles.
- We collect these P orange color threads, and knit 8 P elastic 1×1. At the end of the work close the last P.
Step-by-step knitting dog sweaters with video accompaniment
Video master class shows how to knit beautiful clothes on a small dog.
Before starting work, we take the usual measurements of neck circumference, chest circumference and back length. According to these measures, it is necessary to draw a blouse pattern.
The pattern consists of two separate parts. The back is 25 cm wide, and the front is 9 cm. In sum, this is exactly the size of the chest circumference. Making sure that the size of the pattern corresponds to the measurements taken, you can proceed to the needlework.
Knitting is done with the “Honeycomb” pattern, thick mixed yarn (wool with acrylic), knitting No. 6. One coil weighing 100 grams contains 140 meters of yarn, and the density of the web is 13 P in 10 cm.
- We make a set of 36 P in accordance with the calculation, and begin to knit the basic pattern of "Honeycomb". The repeat pattern repeats from the 3rd to the 6th row.
- We perform the right amount of vertical rapports to get the length from waist to armhole. In this case, this distance is 12 cm.
- Now separate by 4 P along the edges of the last P with a contrast thread. These P will go to knit the front area of the blouse.
- We remove these П from the knitting needles, and we continue to knit only the back zone, fulfilling the decreases of P and forming the armhole line. Be sure to periodically check the shape of the armhole with the pattern.
- After the reduction is necessary to make an addition, and then make a neckline. Carefully follow and repeat the actions that are performed in the master class.
- Having finished knitting the back, we will sew it, and we will pick it on the knitting needle P, which were set aside and marked with a contrast thread.
- Pick up these П on the knitting needle, add two П, there, one from each edge.
- We knit according to the scheme the missing part of the front, and connect the shoulder seams. Crochet the armholes.