Have you decided to sew clothes for the dog yourself? Patterns and schemes for this you will find on the pages of our site.
Today we will tell you how to remove the pattern from the dog, and how to correctly take measurements of your pet. For a start, we suggest you print out the image with the instructions below. Instructions for taking measurements from the dog.
2. the distance from the collar to the base of the tail, departing from it 7cm
3. distance from tail to abdomen
4. distance from the abdomen across the rib cage to the front paws
5. distance from withers (upper shoulder) to the base of the front paws
6. the distance from the collar down the chest to the base of the front paws
7. widest part of front leg, add 2.5 cm in front
8. sleeve length, add 1.2 cm for seam allowance
9. Bottom sleeve, add 1.8 cm wide
Making a shirt pattern for a dog
On the pattern, the upper part is marked with a solid line.
1. Tape two sheets of parchment paper with the long sides of the tape together, then fold them in half along the gluing line.
2. Using the instructions, draw a half pattern for the top of the shirt.
3. Cut the pattern, capturing both layers of paper, and unfold it.
4. If you are not sure that the drawn pattern matches your pet’s standards, transfer it to the draft fabric, cut it and try it on the dog.
5. Transfer the pattern to the fabric from which you want to sew a shirt for your pet and cut it, not forgetting the seam allowances.
Bottom of shirt
The bottom part consists of two separate parts and is sewn to the top along the sides along the sleeves and shoulders. Buttoned shirt can button or lock. On the pattern, the lower part of the shirt is indicated by a dotted line.
1. The pattern of the lower part of the shirt coincides with the pattern of the upper part along the line along the belly and along the line of the sleeves.
2. For the bottom, slide the shoulder line up 2.5 cm.
3. Measure the distance from the base of the front paw to the middle of the chest between the front legs. To the right side of the pattern add 2.5 cm to this value and to the left one. 5 cm, so that the shirt can be fastened when you put it on your pet.
4. Transfer the pattern to the fabric, cut it, process the allowances, sweep the bottom of the top and sew the shirt.
5. The last step will be sewing the collar. If this is a strict "men’s" shirt, a wide collar will work, if an elegant "female" is openwork lace. As it turned out, making a pattern and stitching a fashionable shirt for your pet is a snap.
Basic patterns for dogs can be downloaded for free on our website and, by modernizing them a little, sew shirts and vests for your pet for a wide variety of tastes.