No need to guess the size, you can measure your pet and do the right thing, constantly trying it on for the future owner.
We start with the spokes
The primary purpose of a sweater for a small dog is to protect against cold and wind. Therefore, the yarn for this is selected thick and dense, preferably half-woolen. You can take thinner threads, but then you need to add mohair yarn or an angora and knit into two threads. Moreover, such a dog sweater should not stretch and absorb a lot of moisture. Coming home from a walk, you can just shake it and hang it to dry.
This master class presents a very simple pattern of knitting a pullover for a dog with knitting needles. All the canvas will be connected to the front surface, and the collar – a rubber band. It will not look very attractive. To make clothes more fun, you can, for example, knit a sweater in one color, and make a collar and tie another. Or take a sectional yarn, knitting which forms multi-colored stripes on the product.
We will use No. 4 knitting needles and AlizeLanagold yarn, a 100-gram skein contains 240 m of yarn, that is, the yarn is rather thick.
- First you need to bind the sample to see what density the sweater will turn out and choose the thickness of the needles. In order to avoid friability and increased stretching, it is better to take knitting needles by half a size — one size smaller than that proposed in the description.
- Next, take the measurements from the dog. First, measure the chest circumference (the area immediately behind the front paws), the distance from the front paws to the collar, and between the front paws. You can immediately measure the length of the back, but this is not necessary, since it can be adjusted during knitting.
- Knit collar. It should not tightly tighten the dog’s neck, so you need to make it wider by a couple of centimeters. It fit with a simple rubber band. Its size depends on the size of the dog. For small breeds, such as Yorkshire terriers, 4 cm is enough, for dachshund – 6 cm.
- Getting to the canvas sweater. It fit the facial smooth. To dilute the smoothness of knitting, you can add any pattern, for example, a pigtail of 17 loops. Having tied the collar, it is necessary to count these loops in the middle and start knitting on them a pattern according to the scheme.
For novice needlewomen, the best option is to skip this moment and knit the whole item with a face satin.
- After knitting 2 rows after the collar, we start the expansion by adding 2 loops in each row. It is necessary to expand the product until it reaches the width of the dog’s chest circumference with a 2-centimeter allowance.
The photo shows circular knitting needles, they were used in the last row so that you can distribute the yarn on them and try on the dog.
At the same time to paws should remain about 1-2 cm.
If everything came up, knit 3 more rows without adding loops.
- Making holes for paws. They look like triangles, widening towards the middle of the chest.
We knit a loop of the chest – 3 cm, close the loop for the armhole – 6 cm. We continue to knit until the number of loops equals the loop of the armhole and chest. Now you need to close the armhole and knit loop for the belly of the dog.
- Measure the length of the tummy and continue to knit a fabric of the desired size. To the lower abdomen, it should be narrowed. We do this by diminishing 2 loops every 6 rows.
In the process of work, the sweater must often be measured on a dog.
- Tying the product to the desired length, tie the bottom with a rubber band of 6 rows.
- Holes for legs also need to tie. You can do this by crocheting with crocheted columns or crocheted columns.
- Sew the product.
If you need to tie a sweater with long sleeves, you can make them raglan. Besides the fact that it looks beautiful and interesting, your dog will be cozy and comfortable in such clothes.
Crocheting a dog sweater is much easier than knitting. The main thing here is to know the size of your pet. You can not even use patterns. In addition, for knitting, you can choose any direction, from chest to tail, or vice versa. You can knit round, and you can use regular linen.
When mating, it is best to use a double crochet. This technique is very simple in execution and takes not much time. Expansion of the product occurs by adding air loops.
- Knit the neck of the required width.
- Sew it.
- We begin to knit the main fabric, expanding to the holes for the legs.
- When the slits are ready, the sweater will knit in the shape of a pipe, tapering around the tummy.
Video on the topic of the article
This selection of videos will help you choose the best sweater for your furry family member.