In the article I will talk about how to independently tie a hat to a dog. I will explain how to take measurements and calculate the mating scheme. Which yarn is better to use. Let me explain how dogs need a headdress made with their own hands.
How to tie a hat for a dog with their own hands
Tying a little hat to your four-legged friend is not at all difficult. If you have experience knitting and understanding how to work with knitting or crocheting, then it will take just one day to make a knitted headdress with your own hands.
The calculation of the size of the cap, taking measurements and the procedure for crocheting and knitting are the same. Therefore, we analyze in detail 1 knitting method – knitting.
Hood for dog knitting – knitting scheme
In order to tie a hat to a medium or small sized dog you will need:
- 50 grams of yarn (you can take three colors): 30 grams of the main color and 10 grams of two contrasting colors each;
- Knitting needles number 2 and number 5;
- needle with a wide eyelet so that you can insert a thread of yarn;
- crochet hook
Pay attention to the choice of yarn.
It is also advisable to choose a soft yarn, so that the dog doesn’t have a hat inching or irritation. For this, it is possible to add artificial fibers such as acrylic to the threads.
The presented model is fitted with a 2×2 rubber band. The density of knitting is 30 loops = 10 centimeters.
To calculate the required number of loops, you need to measure the dog’s head and calculate from the knitting density.
For example, a dog’s head circumference is 27 centimeters. Therefore, it turns out 81 loop and add another 1 loop for the symmetry of the 2×2 gum. It turns out only 82 loops.
The second measure is the distance between the ears. For example, 7 centimeters. It turns out 21 loop – 1 for the symmetry of 2×2 gum (so that it does not work out too wide and does not put pressure on the ears). Total 20 loops.
The third measure is the distance from the edge of the canvas (seam cap) to the hole for the ears, doubled the size obtained. For example, received only 4 centimeters. So, you need to dial 12 loops.
The fourth measure is the length of the hole for the ear. We measure the width of the ears. For example, it turned out 6 cm. We count. The total length is 27 centimeters – 7 centimeters (distance between the ears) – 4 centimeters x 2 (the back of the cap) = 81 loops – 20 loops – 12×2 = 17 loops + 2 additional = 19 loops.
Fifth measure – the distance from the bottom of the headdress to the ear is multiplied by 2 to get a turn as in the picture. For example, 3.5 centimeters x 2 = 7 centimeters.
Primary color yarn dials 82 loops and knits 8 centimeters with an elastic band 2 * 2. Changing the color of the yarn in three rows, make the strip. The first half of the canvas can be knit with needles No. 5, the second No. 2.
Next, knit in the following way:
- 1st row – 12 loops with an elastic band 2×2, 19 loops to close, 20 loops with an elastic band 2×2, 19 loops to close, 12 loops with an elastic band 2×2;
- 2nd row – 12 loops with an elastic band 2×2, 15 air loops, 20 loops with an elastic band 2×2;
- further fit 6 rows with a rubber band 2×2;
- then gradually in each row decreases the number of loops to the required height;
- then the cap is stitched with a needle;
- then it is necessary to crochet two chains (cap ties) with air loops and sew them to the cap in a convenient place for tying;
- at the end of a pompom is sewn.
Similarly, the measurements are taken and the pattern and density of crochet is calculated. In this work, it is also possible to use several colors of yarn to obtain a bright and attractive hat. The model can be crocheted with any convenient loops and knitting pattern.
Below is a description of the mating column. For knitting, you can use hooks №3 and №4.
Crochet loop set
- collect 6 air loops and knit 12 single crochet posts;
- then you knit the required number of rows in a circle, doubling every sixth loops. It is necessary to knit this way to that depth until you reach the place where there are armholes for the ears;
- according to the measurements taken, these elements (ear openings) are closed with single crochets;
- then the air loops are recruited again and the necessary length of the cap is knitted, also doubling every sixth loop;
- the bottom row is knitted without a nakid and closed with a “rachim step”.
Then knitting is sewn on and the headdress is decorated with a pompon.
What dogs need
Dog hats are not only bright accessories, but in some cases a necessary element of clothing. Some breeds of pets are absolutely not adapted for walks in the cold and require substantial warming.
These include all miniature, short-haired and undersized dogs, naked and African breeds (Yorkie, Terrier, Chihuahua and others). Dogs of small size are close to the ground and have an increased metabolism. A dog in such circumstances produces a lot of heat in a short period of time, so it quickly freezes.
Also here are animals with shortly cropped ears. This form of auricles does not cover the ear canal and does not protect the inner ear from hypothermia. This leads to otitis and inflammation of the ears in cold weather. Such dogs hat is required.
In the article I talked about how to independently tie a hat to a dog. Explained how to take measurements and calculate the mating scheme. Which yarn is better to use. Explained how dogs need a hat.